[hist-analytic] Supervenience and Neutral Monism

Baynesr at comcast.net Baynesr at comcast.net
Mon Jan 9 09:50:20 EST 2012

I've set aside temporarily my elaborating a new approach to neutral monism. However, there is an issue that ties in with supervenience, which I think is an overstuffed philosophical toy, so to speak. This issue relates to Putnam on James' "Automatic Sweetheart." As I read Putnam's approach to this in The Threefold Cord it occurred to me that Putnam is totally wrong about the sense-data theorists. In fact, he attributes to sense-datists an argument that no sense datist ever gave! He cites not a single sense-datist. He cites Austin who, he says, cites others. But a close look at Austin's slanted and amusingly arrogant attack on Ayer reveals that Putnam is wrong. So I asked myself: "Why would Putnam do this?" As I closely examined his other arguments a pattern emerged.

That pattern is what I will call "the pattern of low level engineering." What Putnam does is take a few clever logical "intuition pumps" based on what I've called elsewhere "logical bling-blings." He asks himself, "What can I do with this bling bling?" He then re-engineers the philosophical problem so as to fit the bling bling. He re-writes the actual arguments he attacks with these bling blings. This engineering approach is one of the "main problems of philosophy." I found the same methodology in Kim. Interestingly, Goodman (who I will be treating of at some length) does NOT use this bling bling approach in the Structure of Appearance. It occurs to me that this approach is a real problem only the historian of analytical philosophy can fully explore. It goes some way towards explaining why the same Americans, particularly, those under the influence of Carnap have written the history of recent philosophy in the form of "love letters" in the Journals, often edited by their students. It's beginning to look like a scam.

By the way, J.L., somewhere Grice (in a footnote as I recall, not sure) criticizes J. L. Austin's attack on Ayer; not substantially but as excessively polemical. Do you recall that passage? I've completed about fifty pages of exposition and criticism of Austin, who really gets everything messed up, technically. Moreover, I have about a hundred pages on supervenience theory, criticizing Kim in particular. One other thing.

I've come up with a definition of 'weighted resemblance'. It will be useful in solving the problem of order in Goodman's approach (ordinal quasi-analysis). More later.

Steve Bayne